This blog is primarily meant to act as a sort of journal, documenting my spiritual journey as I explore my growing interest in Christianity in conjunction with my ongoing Buddhist practice. The title, "submitting to the unknown," was inspired by James 4, which I thought was surprisingly relevant to what I'd been thinking and feeling as of late—I was looking for guidance regarding the ongoing conflict inside of myself between living in the world and the pull of monastic life.
Tuesday, December 29, 2015
12/29/15
Wow, the National Catholic Reporter, a popular (albeit liberal) Catholic newspaper has named Greg Bourke and Michael DeLeon their 2015 persons of the year for their role in the SCOTUS case that ruled same-sex marriage a constitutional right, as well as for being vocal about the challenges and discrimination they face as a gay couple within their own religious community. I can't say I'm not a little surprised. I'm sure it'll upset some and put the NCR squarely in the cross hairs of the uber conservative USCCB, if they're not already. But I think it's a pretty bold move that reflects the voice of many rank and file Catholics, one that'll hopefully help broaden the institutional church's painfully outdated understanding of family and human sexuality sooner rather than later. People like Greg and Michael, and many others like them, are exceptionally brave for sharing their struggles and taking a stand, and I think they reflect the future of Catholicism and other religious institutions like it if they're to survive, let alone establish the kingdom of God on earth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment