Sunday, May 15, 2022

5/15/22

I recently bought a small San Damiano crucifix to wear that's identical to the one Romanos gave me when I was welcomed into the church, which I stopped wearing years ago due to wear. I've also gotten into the habit of saying a prayer every morning when putting it back on after showering, hoping to be reminded of both the transcendence and immanence of God and the example of Jesus; hoping that for at least one moment in the day, I'll be mindful enough to be aware of God's presence and not automatically react to things with anger, greed, or any other harmful or selfish intention. I pick it up, hold it in my hands, and whisper:

Baruch ata Adonai Eloheinu melech ha'olam shehakol nihiya bidvaro. "Blessed are You, Lord our God, king of the universe, through whose word everything comes into being."

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me. Enlighten my darkness, and help remind me to be compassionate, loving, and forgiving.


I'm definitely not as successful as I'd like to be, and I wish I was more sensitive to the presence of God in my life. But I've had moments here and there where I know it's made a difference, like tiny seeds planted in rich soil that, with repetition and the grace of God, will hopefully produce much fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment