This blog is primarily meant to act as a sort of journal, documenting my spiritual journey as I explore my growing interest in Christianity in conjunction with my ongoing Buddhist practice. The title, "submitting to the unknown," was inspired by James 4, which I thought was surprisingly relevant to what I'd been thinking and feeling as of late—I was looking for guidance regarding the ongoing conflict inside of myself between living in the world and the pull of monastic life.
Saturday, December 17, 2022
12/17/22
Today is Pope Francis' birthday. I may not always agree with him, but as far as popes go, I think he could be a whole lot worse. For all his faults and that of the institution of the Catholic Church in general, I like that he's not afraid to criticize capitalism and the way that the poor and marginalized are treated within it. For example, when asked recently in an interview about those who call him a communist and how he'd respond to those who say that what the church and the pope have to say about economics isn't important, he answered, "I am much enlightened by the Beatitudes, but above all by the standard by which we will be judged: Matthew 25. 'I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was in prison, and you visited me. I was sick and you cared for me.' Is Jesus a communist, then? The problem that is behind this, that you have rightly touched on, is the socio-political reduction of the Gospel message. If I see the Gospel in a sociological way only, yes, I am a communist, and so too is Jesus. Behind these Beatitudes and Matthew 25 there is a message that is Jesus’ own. And that is to be Christian. The communists stole some of our Christian values." Amen to that. Happy birthday, comrade. 🎂☭
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment