This blog is primarily meant to act as a sort of journal, documenting my spiritual journey as I explore my growing interest in Christianity in conjunction with my ongoing Buddhist practice. The title, "submitting to the unknown," was inspired by James 4, which I thought was surprisingly relevant to what I'd been thinking and feeling as of late—I was looking for guidance regarding the ongoing conflict inside of myself between living in the world and the pull of monastic life.
Sunday, December 19, 2021
12/19/21
In regard to the allegory of Plato's Cave, an insight from my friend Davik is that we constantly create our own cave. All the things that we create and indulge in to distract and pacify ourselves without realizing that these things are frequently keeping us asleep in some fundamental way. The way we often use things like technology, social media, various forms of entertainment, mind-altering substances, etc. push us farther from ourselves and reality because, on some level, we're trying to run away from ourselves and the world, much how some ascetics try to suppress and destroy their sense of self in order to free themselves from their suffering rather than turning inward to confront their self and seeing the world clearly through the light of truth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment