Last night, I wrote a message to Amanda, the pastor at Central Lutheran, asking if she'd consider guiding me a bit, sort of like an informal spiritual director or spiritual friend. I basically explained that I wasn't looking for someone necessarily trained as a spiritual director so much as just someone to help guide me a bit. Someone wise and caring and open and who's good with people who aren't generally good with other people themselves. I mentioned that I'm really picky when it comes to spiritual leaders and teachers, and I asked her because my visits to Central and all of our interactions had already done a lot for me. I was falling out of things for a bit and becoming very cynical and she helped bring me back from that in a lot of ways. I honestly thought she'd politely decline because she's already so busy and I'm not even technically a member of Central Lutheran, just a semi-regular visitor. But to my surprise and happiness, she agreed and our first meeting is this coming Thursday! I'm not sure what to expect, but I know that some of the things I hope to get out if it are:
1) to understand God better
2) to understand the Lutheran church and its approach to God, spirituality, etc.
3) to be more motivated to improve myself and follow the example of Jesus
4) fellowship/friendship
5) ways to get more involved
More than anything, though, I simply want to grow, both spiritually and just as a person, and I can't think of anyone else I'd want to help me with that. Amanda is such an amazing and inspiring person and I feel exceptionally lucky that she's willing to take the time to chat with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment