Saturday, August 23, 2014

8/23/14

Looking back at my superficial understanding and criticisms of other religious traditions, I realize how immature they were. I suppose I've finally reached a point where I think it's far more advantageous to focus on the similarities between religious traditions than their differences, and where I'm more receptive to those commonalities.

In trying to express this shift in my point of view to others, however, I'm running into the same kind of superficial criticisms I myself used to make about Christianity and can now see how they, and the views underlying them, are a lot like Maslow's hammer, pounding away at the whole of Christian thought and practice because, from their point of view, everything looks like a nail. Certainly they're valid when it comes to the type of 'folk Christianity' that's so prevalent among many; but Christianity itself has a solid and rich spiritual core that I'm learning to recognize and appreciate, and I think it's a shame so few are aware of it.

I'm starting to think that religious triumphalism is more a sign of spiritual immaturity and/or intellectual arrogance than anything else, and feel somewhat embarrassed about my own sectarian and triumphal attitudes.

No comments:

Post a Comment