Got a call from my mom today about my aunt Pat. She's in liver failure and it doesn't look like she has long to live. They're talking about moving her hospice.
She's not technically my aunt, but she's been like a sister to my mom her whole life. They've been best friends since she was 6, and Pat has always been there for my mom these past 50+ years. I've known her all my life. My mom's really upset, and I can't blame her. Almost all of her other close friends and family have passed away. I imagine she feels lonely, scared.
I wish there was something I could do or say to help make her feel better. I could tell her that death is a natural part of life and it's not necessarily the end, that Pat may still be with her in some form after she's gone from this world; but I know how little comfort that'd probably be right now. It's kind of trite to say to someone who's grieving. At least she said talking to me helped calm her down a bit, although I don't think it helped for very long.
Pat has always watched out for my mom, though, and thinking of the RCIA class on saints, I'd like to think that she'll continue to watch over her even after she's gone.
No comments:
Post a Comment