This blog is primarily meant to act as a sort of journal, documenting my spiritual journey as I explore my growing interest in Christianity in conjunction with my ongoing Buddhist practice. The title, "submitting to the unknown," was inspired by James 4, which I thought was surprisingly relevant to what I'd been thinking and feeling as of late—I was looking for guidance regarding the ongoing conflict inside of myself between living in the world and the pull of monastic life.
Friday, November 7, 2014
11/7/14
I went to PFoD for their new Friday night program, Investigations. The night begins with some reflections, then a short 30min meditation session, and finishes with a discussion about the topic. The theme for the night was the place of joy in the practice. Many of the teachings in the Pali Canon talk about the dangers and drawbacks of joy and sensual pleasure because of our tendency to cling to them and take them as our refuge, investing our hope of lasting happiness in them despite their ephemeral nature. But joy and pleasure in and of themselves aren't unwholesome things, and the Pali Canon also talks about blameless forms of happiness and pleasure, as well as how to use them in one's practice. I spent most of the night meditating and reflecting on what everyone said, contemplating my own difficulties with seeking pleasure and taking refuge in delight. It reminded me that one of the first things that drew me towards ancient Greek philosophy was the idea that we can, and should, become masters of our passions rather than their servants.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment